3 July 2007

Sparkle thoughts!

Thoughts about this years “Sparkle” - yes there are many I suppose but just like last year, enjoyed the event but for different reasons. The main reason being that MR went with me on this occasion which meant a lot to me and I appreciate her kindness & support.

Leading up to the weekend, both of us had been pre-occupied with other matters so neither of us had much chance to think about it. I knew that MR was a little apprehensive about going and I understood why. Yeah OK being in a small group of T-Girls but in the company of so many in a short space of time is a little different. However, I re-assured her that everything will be fine and just take things as they come.

As we were only going from Sat PM until Sun PM, I took the opportunity to accept some invitations for organised meal’s by Bea and Myffy as this would be a good way in meeting new people. Bea organised a meal at the Little Ying Sang Restaurant in Chinatown, for early Saturday evening and Myffy‘s Lunch at Villagio‘s on Sunday which would be a nice way to finish the weekend. So that just left us to our own devices in between the two functions and may be meet some friends in the Village. In other words, please ourselves and go with the flow.

For this year’s Sparkle, I had to pack my cases two days early due to family reasons which made it impossible to get ready at home on Saturday morning. MR kindly helped to choose some clothes which was appreciated but I had decided for the first time wear femme “trousers” for Sparkle. Certainly something different for me as I do love wearing skirts!

Sat morning arrived and headed for Tranny Towers, (Ibis Hotel, Charles St), Manchester and duly arrived just on mid-day. Booked into our hotel room, unpacked and both of us got change. Yes I took longer than MR as usual and she was waiting patiently for me to put the final touches to myself - well a girl has got to look at her best!! As promised I wore my new M&S trousers, with black tunic top and a long back coat and you know I still felt “femme” - mmmm nice! I must admit while getting change, I still have these silly thoughts about how MR must be feeling while watching her man getting change into a woman! It must be hard?

We headed to Taurus, Canal St as we thought that was as good as place to have a drink. Walking up to the Village, I had notice there seem to be a good number of T-Girls around compared with same time last year and met Simon & Lesley. A nice chat was had but it had been while since we seen them both. Arrived at Taurus, got drinks and duly met Astrid, Sandra & their friends. After that, Astrid, Davina, Tina & myself went to the “Photo” exhibit at MCC, meeting Cerys too, while the girls decided to head for the “Netball” event as the local sports hall, but never got there! We met up again in Sackville Gdns, and met Lisa K & Nicky who was on her first adventure out. After that, went our own ways with MR & myself heading for the hotel to get change for Bea’s evening meal at Little Ying Sang Restaurant.

Once change and yes back wearing a skirt, we headed to Chinatown which was another little first for both of us. Never gone beyond the Village before especially towards the city centre and during the Sat peak hour too. Strange but in a nice way, no-one seem to be bothered. Finally arrived at the restaurant as most of the party were already there! A enjoyable meal was had, nice food and good service but all thanks to Bea’s initiative. It was certainly nice to meet new people as well as some familiar faces including Cerys, Jenny D and Selina. There were three other couple’s in the party, these being Penny M & Mrs PM, Rachel H & Helen and Cindy B & Mrs CB. All very nice couples and manage to have a chat with two of them with the exception of Cindy & her partner - this was not intentional but just the way things worked out. May be another occasion? It was also nice to meet some Angels cyber friends too, Linzi, Helena, Jessica & Suzi P who seem to be enjoying themselves and not letting up in the chatting stakes! Linzi, I took too partly because of our chats in the Angels Chatroom before hand - such a nice person & better still live!!

After that we all walked back to Sackville Gardens and eventually went our separate ways but not before having further chats with Linzi, Penny D & Mrs PD. I found nice similarities between Penny’s partner and MR but it was shame neither of them got the right opportunity to speak to each other - mainly they are both quiet (shy) people. Again may be another occasion? In the meantime bumped into Astrid & Sandra again and decided to head for AXM rather than staying put for the stage activities. Met up with Jane Maybe & Beckie W and it was nice to see both of them again especially as they have been through the mill in recent times. They seem to be OK but I suspect hiding a lot under the surface?

Like last years Sparkle, noted a huge variety in the dress / outfits stakes worn by T-Girls going from one extreme to another! Some were good, tasteful etc but one /two were - well just say, did they actually look in the mirror before they ventured out? I’m afraid to say these girls were not doing us any favours in promoting the good aspects of the TG community to “Joe Public” who were in attendance.

Around about 11.00pm, MR was a little tired, so took her back to Tranny Towers and I went back to AXM to meet Astrid & Co. MR had enjoyed herself but it had been a long day for her - however it was really nice for me to have her company during this time. It meant a lot to me. After AXM, headed to Taurus for a few drinks and met other friends including Myffy who gave me a nice hug. She is again, such a wonderful person. At around 1.30am it was time to head back to the hotel - yes I was tired and thought may be have a chat to some girls in the hotel reception. Arrived at Reception and unlike last year - very quiet! Chatted to Simon & Lesley again and then to bed. MR just about a sleep but manage to have a little chat about the day’s proceedings.

Eventually got some sleep & then it was time to get up. We both got ready, yet another outfit (& yes a skirt again) and went down to reception for breakfast. In the meantime, introduced Teela (& Susan) to MR while I packed the car. Then booked out of the hotel and headed for the Village once again. Canal St was quiet with the exception of some T-Girls being about but they were I assume going to Myffy‘s Lunch? Obtained a drink at AXM and sat outside to bide our time away until 1.00pm. Again met Jane Maybe, Beckie W and Amanda Me, another chat & photo’s taken. Astrid & Sandra appeared and we all headed for Villagio’s for lunch.

This year’s Sunday Lunch was bigger than 2006 and nearly 100 people attended. Says a lot of Myffy, her personality and kind thoughts towards us girls. The meal and service was good given the numbers and everyone seem to enjoy it. Myffy was attempting to spilt herself between various people. Again got to meet some new girls and saw some more friends too including Chrissy, Beth, Leanne (in drag!! LOL) amongst others. MR by this time was ready for home, god bless her so at end of meal everyone went their separate ways. As the last final act, MR & I headed to Taurus for a quiet drink of the “black stuff”. After that I got change back into “bob” mode before we finally headed home.

In conclusion, was “Sparkle” a success? It depends on what you got out of it I suppose? Yes we did not see any of the stage activities but it was about meeting old & new friends as well as being with my loving wife - that was special and in that respect, it was a success but only because of the Sparkle organisers. Thanks to you all and may be see you again in 2008?

1 comment:

Jane Maybe said...

hi kay,just found your blog while passing away the hours on nights !
yes life has been a rollercoaster this year and maybe i do or do not hide it well ?
take care
love jane
xx